Sunday, September 19, 2010

Food, glorious food

I've been meaning to write (you know, in all my "free" time now that I'm back to work) about feeding the boys. Ah, yes. We finally tried some food. **Break out the chorus from the opening act of Oliver! here**

On Saturday, September 11, Russ and the Man had their first taste of rice cereal. I followed the directions on the box (like any new mom would) and it was incredibly soupy. Think formula with a hint of rice. We fed it to them anyway. They were both unsure, but definitely interested. Then, because we were trying new things and we were all messy...I broke out the sippy cups and they drank some water to wash down their soupy cereal. I was impressed with how well they did with the cups!


Russ (above), Mannie (below)




All done! Russ (above), Mannie (below)



The next night, we tried again...and this time I made the cereal thicker. Much better! Mannie was like a little bird, opening his mouth for every morsel. Russell wanted to talk through the whole meal. We continued to feed them just in the evening (before their bath and night time bottle) for several days before we added in a morning meal, too.




So last night I added a little spoon of pears to their cereal. They LOVED it. Russ said "mmmm, mmmmmmm" through every bite, and Mannie was impatient because we weren't feeding him fast enough. After their baths (oh, they smelled SO yummy like all clean babies do) my mom and I gave them their final bottles of the night. Then I decided to give the Man a little Tylenol to help him sleep (because he is still adjusting to sleeping in his helmet and although he does sleep, he has been extremely restless). Well, this was a BIG mistake. BIG MISTAKE, I say. The poor little guy choked on the Tylenol as he swallowed it...and UP came the entire contents of his stomach. UP came the formula and the cereal and the pears. All over him. All over me. Yuck. So much for that clean baby smell that I had just been inhaling!

Today Mannie has been more apprehensive about eating, and I have been so disappointed and sad. He was my little bird, opening his mouth and waiting for the spoon, other days. Not today. He had just a few bites in the morning and a few more tonight. Maybe tomorrow will be better?

No comments:

Post a Comment